I was flying solo in the shop on Sunday. I got there at about 9 am to finish up the 110 volt system. This actually went pretty well. I simply had to bolt everything together in my junction box and test everything out. It all went together pretty well and tested out just fine. All in all it took about 4 hours to get it all bolted down, connected, tested and working.
The heating system is loosely bolted in right now and doesn’t have any fluid in it yet. The heating system is one piece of electric cars that seems to draw a bit of debate. This is how mine is setup:
The output of the fluid heater is plumbed directly to the intake of the heater core. The output of the heater core is plumbed to the input of the fluid pump. The output of the fluid pump is plumbed to the intake of the fluid heater.
The heater will only heat when it is plugged into the 110 volt. The heater is controlled by a rocker switch mounted in the original heater control panel. The fluid pump is connected to the car’s 12 volt system and turns on when the fan speed is set to low or medium.
This seemed to be the simplest solution to me. Also, once the fluid and heater core are up to a good temperature, it should still produce a small amount of heat while I’m driving to work. This should allow it to keep the windshield clear. This was also a pretty inexpensive way to make things work.
Once the wiring was completed for the day, I took the plunge and put the dash back together. I’m not sure whether or not I was supposed to have so many screws left over, but it seems to be back in one piece. I suppose less screws means less weight and therefore more range.
I’m slacking again on movies and pictures. I have a few pictures up now and I will get some video soon.